Hand, die einen internationalen Reisepass hält

The respective authorities at your place of residence are responsible for questions regarding visa regulations and residence titles. We will give you an initial overview here.

Basic information about your stay in Germany

Further Information

You will find additional information (also in Ukrainian language) on the Website of the Bundesamt für Migration und Flüchtlinge (Federal Office for Migration and Refugees).

Refugees from Ukraine who entered Germany after 24th February 2022 can stay here until 31st August 2022 according to the Ukraine Residence Transition Regulation – (UkraineAufenthÜV) which was extended on 8th April 2022 without needing a visa or registering.

To ensure a longer stay, you should register during this period. In general, Ukrainian nationals and their family members as well as selected groups of persons (e.g. stateless persons or nationals from third countries with protection status, as well as nationals from non-safe countries of origin) who had their residence in Ukraine before 24th February 2022 have the possibility to obtain a residence title according to section 24 of the Residence Act (Aufenthaltsgewährung zum vorübergehenden Schutz: § 24 AufenthG – Einzelnorm (gesetze-im-internet.de)).

Further information (also in Ukrainian) can be found on the website of the Federal Office for Migration and Refugees.

Contacting the Foreigners’ Registration Office / Receiving benefits

You can register in all German cities. In order to do so, it is best to go to the Ausländerbehörde (Foreigners’ Registration Office), but you can also go to the police or the Federal Police (Bundespolizei). First aiders standing at railway stations and airports can also guide you.

All persons covered by the scope of application of section 24 of Germany’s Residence Act (AufenthG) currently receive benefits for subsistence and medical care under the Asylum Seekers Benefits Act (AsylbLG). As of 1st June, refugees from Ukraine in Germany will be able to receive basic social security benefits according to the German Social Code, Book II (SGB II). This includes higher benefits and improved services such as health care.

To receive the benefits, you need to register as mentioned above. Once you are registered, you will receive an “arrival certificate”. With this, you can go to the social welfare office in your city, where you will receive the benefits, you are entitled to. These are benefits in cash and in kind. After registration, you can also, for example, work in Germany or go to the doctor.

Longer-term residence title

In order to stay in Germany for a longer period of time, it is necessary to obtain a residence title. A “residence title” (Aufenthaltstitel) determines the residence of foreigners in Germany. The application for a longer residence title is made at the responsible Foreigners’ Registration Office (Ausländerbehörde) at your place of residence.

Please note that refugees from Ukraine have various options when applying for a residence title. These differ in, among other things, which country of origin you come from, in which activities you can pursue with these residence titles and which social benefits you can claim, if any.

You can get an initial overview on the website germany4ukraine.de. For more comprehensive information, we recommend the website of the Federal Ministry of the Interior.